chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Affliction
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Affliction

Male Number of posts : 3093
Registration date : 2007-10-13

Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Empty
PostSubject: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:31 pm

It's a safe bet that nobody saw this coming.

While neither the Titans' not the Texans' winning or losing would have been classified as an upset—both have high expectations this season—an old fashioned shootout was the last thing on people's minds as game day approached.

Most had this matchup pegged be a "strength vs. strength" affair; the vaunted Titans' defense taking on the resurgent, explosive Texans' offense.

As is turned out, that was only half right.

On a surreal Sunday afternoon in Nashville, the two teams locked horns in what looked more like a college football game than a traditional NFL slugfest.

Be it Tennessee's Chris Johnson's video game-esque rushing totals or Houston quarterback Matt Shaub's gaudy passing numbers, both offenses moved the ball at will.

In essence, the game posed a good news/bad news scenario for the Titans.

While it certainly was a pleasant surprise to see Tennessee hang around in an offensive duel, the fact remains that their much-hyped defense allowed themselves to be picked apart when it mattered most.

For the titans, the one glaring aspect of the game was their quarterback pressure, or lack thereof. The Titans' defense produced precisely zero hurries, let alone zero sacks.

That will make just about any quarterback look good.

Throw in the fact that Shaub had a big-time receiver in Andre Johnson to throw to, and it made Kerry Collins and his compadres' job darn near impossible, explosiveness or not.

Suffice it to say, it's back to the drawing board for Chuck Cecil and Co. At this point, Tennessee and its fans will take consistency.

Dominance would be a bonus.

Sunday's drubbing answered few questions, and posed many more.

Was their defensive meltdown a fluke? Are there serious issues yet to be addressed? Or are the Texans actually that improved, finally ready to move beyond their status as trendy preseason picks and actually deliver?

Most had the Titans' offense as the would-be weak link this year in Tennesse's chain. After the season-opening loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, optimism remained high in Nashville.

Yet now, facing an 0-2 hole with a tough remainder of the season's first half to go, things seem a bit more daunting.

As a fan, one can only hope that if the Week Two debacle was indeed not a fluke, that at the very least the defense will come back on a mission next week against the talented, yet largely unproven, Mark Sanchez and the streaking New York Jets.

Ideally, the offense next week will keep ticking the way it did; they'll need to against Rex Ryan's aggressive defense that humbled Tom Brady. It's just the suspect defense that needs to deliver after two-straight weeks of giving up big plays in crunch time.

If not, the country music crooners on Music Row will have another bitter tale to tell.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:18 pm

There was no defense in that game.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Affliction

Male Number of posts : 3093
Registration date : 2007-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Exactly but it was fucking amazing to see Texans destroy them.

TEXANS 1-1 BABBBBYYY! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm

That is the kind of offense I expect to see from them. They have Andre Johnson, one the top 3 WR's in football. If Shaub stays on the field, they are a dangerous offense.

You would think that the Texans would have figured out where Chris Johnson is at all times.
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

Male Number of posts : 3627
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:25 pm

The play that changed the game was the "catch" made by Jacoby. Everyone even the broadcasters thought it as a fumble, however the Refs didn't feel the same way. Had it not been for the touchdown it wouldn't of been as close of a game. Rumor has it they're going to have the referee staff in the office on Monday to review the call in entirety. Just like with the Broncs and Chargers last year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecw.com
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:48 am

They followed the rule on that man. It might be a silly rule, but it is the rule.
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

Male Number of posts : 3627
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:49 am

Which is why I'm starting to prefer college ball to pro ball, to many fucking rules.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecw.com
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:56 am

Now that it was an issue, they competion commitee will probably take a look at it. So this isn't really like the Chargers Broncos at all. The ref just fucked that call up. He said so afterwards, just a huge mistake. This one was not a mistake. They just followed the rule.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout   Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Titans' Defense M.I.A. in Texas Shootout
Page 1 of 1