chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva Empty
PostSubject: White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva   White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Quote :

Cagewriter Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:50 pm EDT

UFC 103 postfight: White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva
By Steve Cofield

How quickly things change in the UFC. At the start of the summer it didn't look like there was a single intriguing matchup for UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva. Four months later, the UFC can't decide which of three fighters gets the next shot. Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort have all turned in quick, devastating victories.

Henderson thought for sure that he was next after burying Michael Bisping at UFC 100 with his Knockout of the Night. Not so fast my friend. UFC president Dana White has been talked out of that by the media and fans. And by the sound of it during the UFC 103 postfight press conference, Belfort's quick finish of Rich Franklin has put him at the front of the list for Silva:

"We're in this place in the 185 pound division [where] you have a guy that's so dominant. Anytime you can come up with new and exciting fights for him [it's good]," said White. Henderson and Marquardt flopped in their first title shots against Silva. "I love where we're at right now. I love the fact that we have Vitor in the weight class, I think Vitor might be ready now."

White sounds 99-percent convinced that having Marquardt and Henderson fight in an eliminator is the way to go:

"The way that the last two fights happened for Marquardt and Henderson against Anderson Silva, I think it'd be better to see them fight each other. The winner of that would be the next contender. And I think Vitor is ready to fight Anderson Silva."

That's a departure from when White said that if Henderson beat Bisping, he'd get the next shot. Henderson, who is without a contract, is sticking to his guns, saying the only fight he wants is a rematch with Silva.

Belfort wouldn't go as far as calling out Silva. The fight last night was his first in the UFC since 2004. He looks like a much different in second lease on life. That includes a more patient game that should play better against Silva, than his old charging style:

"This fight I was taking my time, I was feeling the fight [out]. I make sure I have the zip code, the address and the social security [number]," said Belfort. "I'm taking my time, sometimes I'm aggressive, [but] as soon as I start, I make sure I fight. That's what people want to see."

A decision on Silva's next opponent isn't expected anytime soon. There's been some confusion on reports that Silva is out because of minor elbow surgery. Silva denied the reports saying he knows nothing of the injury. White confirmed on Thursday that Silva is getting surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow and is likely out until early 2010.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva   White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Ehhh, I don't like having him face him right away. I'd definitely go with Vitor/Marquardt and Hendo/Silva instead.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva   White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I agree, not right away. If he strings togther another win or 2, then yeah. If he does get a shot right away, will it derail his comeback if he loses. Other then a lose being a lose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva   White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White suggests Belfort is next in line for Silva
Page 1 of 1