chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years

Go down 
+5
DJ Hipp
Straight-Edge Superstar
Ex-Mattitude Follower
babaganoosh
TheWalkingDead
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheWalkingDead
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
TheWalkingDead

Male Number of posts : 3268
Registration date : 2007-06-18

MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Empty
PostSubject: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Following his pinfall loss to Kung Fu Naki on last Friday's SmackDown, Montel Vontavious Porter's losing streak has reached double digits. Porter has lost ten consecutive television matches in a row, including ten clean pinfall losses. He's also lost on nine consecutive editions of Friday Night SmackDown. Here is the updated "MVP Loss-A-Meter":

08-29 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Jeff Hardy.
09-05 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Shelton Benjamin.
09-07 Unforgiven - Pinned twice; by Jeff Hardy, and by Triple H at the conclusion of the match.
09-12 SmackDown - Lost Fatal Four Way Match to Jeff Hardy when Kendrick was pinned.
09-19 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Triple H.
09-26 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Triple H in tag match vs. Triple H & Jeff Hardy.
10-03 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Jeff Hardy in All Star Eight-Man Tag Team Match.
10-10 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Jeff Hardy.
10-17 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to R-Truth.
10-24 SmackDown - Pinfall loss to Kung Fu Naki in tag match vs. R-Truth & Kung Fu Naki.

Speaking of Kung Fu Naki, his win over MVP last Friday was his first pinfall victory on an episode of SmackDown in nearly four years. The last time he gained a pinfall over someone on an episode of SmackDown was on February 10, 2005 during his brief run as WWE Cruiserweight Champion. Funaki defeated Chavo Guerrero in a one-on-one encounter. The last time he gained a pinfall victory on television was on the May 13, 2006 edition of Velocity in a win over Sylvan Grenier, who was at the end of his rope with his "model" gimmick (he was repackaged the very next month with "the Ambassador of Québec" gimmick). Funaki technically defeated Finlay on the January 27, 2006 edition of SmackDown after the referee reversed his decision because Finlay wouldn't stop his assault on Funaki. Funaki also teamed with Batista, Colin Delaney & Nunzio in a win over Edge, Chavo Guerrero, Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder, but Batista got the pin.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Funaki FTW!! Look out heavyweight division, we have a man who has more momentum than he's had in years.
Back to top Go down
Ex-Mattitude Follower
Egotistical Maniac
Egotistical Maniac
Ex-Mattitude Follower

Male Number of posts : 4927
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:31 pm

MVP is being totally wasted. Funaki is a joke character never to do anything worthwhile in WWE whereas MVP has the wrestling ability, mic skills, charisma and overness to be a main eventer in WWE. It's a shame they're treating him like crap when he's got the potential to be massive. I can't understand the logic behind it.
Back to top Go down
Straight-Edge Superstar
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion

Male Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 3:40 pm

I don't know something inside of me says that his recent losses are to back his "storyline" with the whole the if he wins he gets a contract bonus thing.

I'm probably giving WWE too much credit though.

I marked when he finally one a match on SD. Kung Fu Naki for the win
Back to top Go down
DJ Hipp
WWE Superstar
WWE Superstar
DJ Hipp

Male Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 6:18 pm

I actually like the MVP loss streak thing, but I do hope he gets a few wins soon
Back to top Go down
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Y2J X

Male Number of posts : 2435
Registration date : 2007-11-25

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 1:37 am

Sucks. I hope this is not all about that remark about the explictives to the people who check to make sure they piss in the cup because that would be too hard of a punishment. If not WWE better have a storyline or start pushing your younger talent that can actually became a big hit, not Kozlov. I have no problem with Kozlov it's just that every monster in WWE nowadays gets a big push then a big decline, Khali- World Champion to stupid thing with Jackass (just glad he is not world champ) and Umaga undefeated monster who took down everyone, excluding Cena, now he jobs as much as he use to win. MVP however could became someone as big as Orton and Edge. Kung Fu Naki can and most likely will become a jobber.
Back to top Go down
TheWittyTwit
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion

Male Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Mattitude Follower wrote:
MVP is being totally wasted. Funaki is a joke character never to do anything worthwhile in WWE whereas MVP has the wrestling ability, mic skills, charisma and overness to be a main eventer in WWE. It's a shame they're treating him like crap when he's got the potential to be massive. I can't understand the logic behind it.

You totally undermine the value of a joke character. Funaki and Taka Michinoku were (and still would be if Taka were still with WWE) comic gold. I think the gimmick could be extremely entertaining if played properly. For example: Funaki is held up from the rafters so he can perform mid-air, movie-like Kung Fu moves.

Golden.

As for MVP, MF, you've got it on the nose. All I can say is that I hope this is a setup to have him bounce back in a big way.
Back to top Go down
EdgeHead
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran

Male Number of posts : 2627
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 pm

I haven't watched Smackdown a whole lot recently (I watched it once in August for the first time in a year) but as for MVP's losing streak, have they really pushed on TV the contract bonus angle or they just don't mention it? 'Cause if they don't, to me, it probably looks more like MVP being buried on Smackdown because whatever problems he has with Triple H.
Back to top Go down
Ex-Mattitude Follower
Egotistical Maniac
Egotistical Maniac
Ex-Mattitude Follower

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:41 am

TheWittyTwit wrote:

You totally undermine the value of a joke character. Funaki and Taka Michinoku were (and still would be if Taka were still with WWE) comic gold. I think the gimmick could be extremely entertaining if played properly. For example: Funaki is held up from the rafters so he can perform mid-air, movie-like Kung Fu moves.

Golden.

As for MVP, MF, you've got it on the nose. All I can say is that I hope this is a setup to have him bounce back in a big way.

So some comedy character should be booked to defeat a potential main eventer? Sure it can be funny but have Funaki beat someone like Kenny Dykstra. MVP is a true star and deserves more. Comedy is all well and good but it shouldn't overshadow someone else's potentially very successful career.

Dunno what you mean by "got it on the nose" but yeah, it depends on what EdgeHead said. If they are mentioning this contract thing frequently then it's probably part of an angle but if not, then they are just jobbing him oug.
Back to top Go down
Inah
Head Bitch In Charge
Head Bitch In Charge

Female Number of posts : 4534
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:38 pm

This has to be a joke. MVP, in my opinion, is one of the best wrestlers the WWE has at the moment. He's a potential main eventer and how WWE could waste this talent is unbelievable. From being one of the top stars from Smackdown! to losing nine consecutive editions, with the likes of Funaki, he must have done something really bad that may have pissed of the authority because really, they can't just make a top star lose every week.

And yeah, whatever happened to his "main event push"?
Back to top Go down
EdgeHead
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Perhaps Triple H thought that MVP wasn't "main event material".
Back to top Go down
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Y2J X

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 pm

EdgeHead wrote:
Perhaps Triple H thought that MVP wasn't "main event material".

HHH really thinks nobody is "main event material" or at least on his level. He said that CM Punk didn't know who to wrestle and the only way he can have a good match is for them to turn Shawn heel. He is extremely pissed with Taker because he hasn't beat him after his loss at Wrestlemania. Jeff Hardy is the only new guy on Smackdown that HHH gives his stamp of approval to but not enough to beat him for his championship (at least not for the moment). Valdimer Kozlov may only be getting pushed because he was turned down by TNA.

As for Joke characters (eluded to earlier), their a waste of time. What happened to watching wrestling because how much you love the sport not because someone is going to some karate while being held from the rafters. What is going to become of Kung Fu Naki, a jobber worth nothing more than a chuckle. Better yet, they'll give the IC championship to a guy who cracks jokes with a speech impediment while jobbing to a lot of his matches, doing nothing more than devalue a once prestigise title instead of trying to get the prestige back. Seriously, anyone who loves the Santino gimmick yet bashes WWE for being called simply "Entertainment" is a hypocrite because thats all Santino has shown us, he can be funny (which isn't a sport it's a form of entertainment). I'm just waiting for his intense Judo Background. Also, joke characters also give less chance that a wrestler will succeed, if Santino wins the world championship WWE can't make him a joke character because then they'll devalue the World Championship. Yet because of Santino massive success as a joke character, not being in the character will make his title reign bomb. A lose-lose sitution, that is why I don't like joke characters, their only needed for those people who don't love wrestling enough. For those who bash, does Football need comedy to attract your attention, what about baseball or basketball. They don't need a comedy character dressed as a karate student do they, no but WWE does because it's "entertainment" when most people just say thats stupid to call it that. I proved my point joke characters are don't have value.
Back to top Go down
DJ Hipp
WWE Superstar
WWE Superstar
DJ Hipp

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:32 pm

If you watched because you really loved the sport then you'd LOVE characters like Kung Fu Naki.

You say other sports dont need gimmick characters to attract people. What about Superman Dwight Howard? That was damn'd awesome and one of the best dunk contests of all time.

If wrestling didnt have fun gimmicks, it'd suck. I'm sorry Y2J X, but you proved no point.

And it seems like you care way too much about "backstage politics" if you've taken the time to talk about what triple h supposedly "thinks." It doesnt matter, if you really "loved the sport," you'd quit complaining and actually watch the product without having an already biased opinion against it going in, where you obviously wont enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
EdgeHead
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Wow....I never thought that a joke about Triple H's backstage politics would've caught fire like that..

But yeah, Bandit's right: you need those fun gimmicks to keep things entertaining. Because as much as we want wrestling to be taken seriously as a sport, we know it never will but this is the whole point of wrestling: it ENTERTAINS us. So, we need a little of everything in the product to draw various type of fans to watch the show. You have the right to not like the Kung Fu Naki gimmick but hey, I'm no fan of Sean Avery's antics in the NHL but I can see why some people likes the guy; he gives one helluva show even though he doesn't think with his head 90% of the time.

And plus, he's banging Elisha Cuthbert so he's one lucky bastard.
Back to top Go down
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Y2J X

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Bandit, I don't really care that much about backstage politcies I know about them. When people go to school they learn things doesn't mean the care about it. Edgehead mentioned HHH Backstage politicies I elaborted on his backstage polticies. I went a little over then line by saying HHH doesn't think anyone is main event material but, a lot in the paragraph is true. Anything when you love something/someone you generally try to find out the most about it/them you can.

Now I should lover joke characters. I'll admit I went overboard with saying they have no value, they do have value you guys are absolutly right about that. Here is why I hate the joke character this thread is about...

Kung Fu Naki- I don't find him funny and I don't think he should be getting a win over MVP, who is most likely the future of the company whereas Kung Fu Naki will become an afterthought.
Back to top Go down
Ex-Mattitude Follower
Egotistical Maniac
Egotistical Maniac
Ex-Mattitude Follower

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Yeah, comedy characters are fine to have, they provide some fun for the audience and an escape from the harshness of reality but they shouldn't be booked as superior to someone with the potential of MVP. If Funaki beats MVP, Montel looks like an idiot and it kills some of his heat. If MVP beats Funaki, it's not a big deal at all as Funaki is a comedy character which people don't expect to be doing well. Loses don't hurt his character.
Back to top Go down
DJ Hipp
WWE Superstar
WWE Superstar
DJ Hipp

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Yeah, comedy characters are fine to have, they provide some fun for the audience and an escape from the harshness of reality but they shouldn't be booked as superior to someone with the potential of MVP. If Funaki beats MVP, Montel looks like an idiot and it kills some of his heat. If MVP beats Funaki, it's not a big deal at all as Funaki is a comedy character which people don't expect to be doing well. Loses don't hurt his character.

It seems to me funaki may be set for a good push. if he lost to MVP, who hasnt beat anyone since probably before wrestlemania, that would hurt a possible funaki push more than an MVP push. MVP's gimmick is that he loses. Him losing to Funaki is him excelling at his gimmick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years   MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MVP Loss-A-Meter, Funaki's First Win In Nearly Four Years
Page 1 of 1