chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Luongo signs 12 year extension

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

Luongo signs 12 year extension Empty
PostSubject: Luongo signs 12 year extension   Luongo signs 12 year extension Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Quote :
VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Canucks are confident that goaltender Roberto Luongo will be in their net into his 40s, which is why they signed him to a US$64-million, 12-year contract extension Wednesday.

"We saw two 40-year-old goalies playing in the league this past year," Canucks GM Mike Gillis said. "Dominik Hasek was a dominant goalie into his late 30s and early 40s. Johnny Bauer a long time ago, there's lots of precedent at this position.

"We didn't have any of the discomfort that we would have had with a skating defencemen or forward."

Luongo, 30, says he's in great shape and believes he'll still be playing in the NHL at the end of the deal.

"Chelly's doing it, I don't see why I can't," joked Luongo, referring to 47-year-old defenceman Chris Chelios, who played for the Detroit Red Wings last season. "As long as my body keeps telling me I can play, I'll be in the pipes."

Looking relaxed, wearing a T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops, Luongo met with reporters Wednesday afternoon in the parking lot of Montreal's Roberto-Luongo Arena, the rink where he first laced up his goalie pads as a kid.

Gillis confirmed Luongo's deal, which was finalized Wednesday morning, will count $5.3 million per year against the NHL's salary cap. The extension will keep the Canucks captain in Vancouver until the 2021-22 season.

Luongo could retire earlier than the full length of the contract with no cap consequences for the Canucks.

"He's the face of the organization, he's our captain and we think he's the most dominant player in his position in the league right now," Gillis said.

Luongo earned $7 million last season and was due to earn $7.5 for the upcoming campaign, which was the final year of his existing contract.

He went 33-13-7 last season with a franchise-record nine shutouts and is expected to challenge Martin Brodeur for Canada's starting job at the Olympics.
What the hell is with these contracts? Zetteberg, Havlat, Ovechkin, Luongo, DiPietro *giggles*, and I think Carter (or maybe another Philli player) has one too. Coming off a season where he missed like 20 or 30 games, I don't see much justification in giving him 12 years.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Luongo signs 12 year extension Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luongo signs 12 year extension   Luongo signs 12 year extension Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't know Hockey, but a 12 year contract?
Back to top Go down

Luongo signs 12 year extension
Page 1 of 1