chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheRealFan
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
TheRealFan

Female Number of posts : 3217
Location : With Corey Taylor in his closet... And not wanting to come out. <3
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Empty
PostSubject: Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals   Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:52 pm

From NHL.com

Five reasons the Pens are headed back to the Final
Tuesday, 05.26.2009 / 10:06 PM / Conference Finals: Pittsburgh vs. Carolina
By Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Managing Editor

RALEIGH, N.C. -- There are a number of reasons why the Pittsburgh Penguins virtually lapped a very good -- and very game -- Carolina Hurricanes team in a stunning four-game ouster in what many expected to be a much more evenly balanced Eastern Conference Finals.

But here are the five most telling reasons why the Penguins are making plans to face either the Detroit Red Wings or the Chicago Blackhawks -- Detroit leads the Western Conference Finals 3-1 -- in the Stanley Cup Final.

Experience--Losing to Detroit in the Stanley Cup Final last June was painful but necessary. It is a rite of passage most teams must go through before they are worthy of being called champions. The lessons learned in falling just short of your lifelong dream -- particularly on the mental side of the ledger -- are invaluable the next time around. All of Pittsburgh's key players -- Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, goalie Marc-Andre Fleury -- lived through the tempest of last year's Final, a six-game defeat to an experienced Detroit club, and came out the other side with a lot more mental toughness.

Health-- Pittsburgh had few injury worries in the Eastern Conference Finals. Yes, Sergei Gonchar hurt his knee in the previous round, but he was able to play in every game of the Eastern Conference Finals, getting better with each contest. How hurt could a player who saw close to 20 minutes a game really be? Carolina, meanwhile, saw Tuomo Ruutu and Erik Cole get injured in Game 1 and never fully recover. Plus, there were rather loud whispers that goalie Cam Ward was playing with an unannounced injury. Grueling seven-game series against New Jersey and Boston in the previous two rounds seemed to empty Carolina's tank before Round 3 even got under way.

Depth -- Because they dressed a seventh defenseman, the Penguins dressed just 11 forwards in each game. But that alignment allowed Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma to construct a stunning fourth line, which featured Miroslav Satan and veteran Craig Adams flanking Crosby, Malkin or Jordan Staal. Needless to say, such a luxury proved very hard for Carolina coach Paul Maurice and his players to handle when it came to game planning and matchups on the ice. But it wasn't just a revamped fourth line. Malkin leads the League in playoff points, yet he is only the second-line center behind Crosby, who's tops in goals.

Defense-- This isn't usually the first word that pops into the old cranium when you think about the run-and-gun Penguins, but Pittsburgh's defense might have been more important in this series than its top line. Eric Staal is Carolina's main threat and had earned the respect of everyone for almost singlehandedly dismantling the Devils and the Bruins. But he never got on track in the conference finals. Staal had one measly assist through three games and was minus-6 (he did score in Game 4). So how did Pittsburgh hold down the same Staal who had put up 9 goals and 13 points in Carolina's first 14 games? It boiled down to a steady dose of defensemen Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi hopping over the boards every time Staal stepped on the ice. Oh yeah, Eric Staal also saw a fair amount of Pittsburgh's Jordan Staal, the Penguins' checking-line center and Eric's younger brother.

Star Power-- Nobody in the East could deny this Pittsburgh team if it got A-plus games out of its two superstars -- Crosby and Malkin -- and that's exactly what the two stars brought to the plate in the Eastern Conference Finals. Malkin was otherworldly, scoring 6 goals in the first three games -- including a dynamic Game 2 hat trick that turned the tide of that back-and-forth game permanently in Pittsburgh's favor. Crosby was all over the ice, contributing in every zone. Yet his production -- 2 goals and 3 assists in the first three games, plus a backbreaking assist in the second period of Game 4 -- was considered merely pedestrian when compared to Malkin's. By the same token, Carolina's top line didn't manage five points for the entire series. Yes, Pittsburgh's victory was the proverbial 20-man effort, but there was no denying that Crosby and Malkin were in the vanguard of the march to the Stanley Cup Final.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals   Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Did you see that second goal by the Pens? Weak as hell. I don't play hockey, but I know I could do so much better than Ward on that one.
Back to top Go down
TheRealFan
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
TheRealFan

Female Number of posts : 3217
Location : With Corey Taylor in his closet... And not wanting to come out. <3
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals   Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:17 am

Yea I've seen it. Ridiculous... I was sure Ward was going to stop it but he let it in. Hell, even I could have stopped that shot.
Back to top Go down
CMHL_Is_Legend
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
CMHL_Is_Legend

Male Number of posts : 1548
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals   Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm suprised they won 4-0. The Canes looked so good before this.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals   Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm

I believe I said before that Cam Ward is a very streaky guy (though I may have generalized to say the Canes as a whole are streaky). So the Canes in fact looked great so far in the playoffs, but as with streaky teams, they can fall flat very quickly and that's exactly what happened here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals   Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pens make it to Stanley Cup Finals
Page 1 of 1