chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hossa has no regrets

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheRealFan
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
TheRealFan

Female Number of posts : 3217
Location : With Corey Taylor in his closet... And not wanting to come out. <3
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Hossa has no regrets Empty
PostSubject: Hossa has no regrets   Hossa has no regrets Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:32 pm

From NHL.com

Hossa has no regrets on signing with Red Wings
Saturday, 06.13.2009 / 12:53 AM / 2009 Stanley Cup Final: Detroit vs. Pittsburgh
By Dave Lozo - NHL.com Staff Writer

DETROIT – This certainly wasn't what Marian Hossa signed up for.

The biggest name on the free-agent market last July, he had two choices – take the big bucks and long-term contract being offered by the Pittsburgh Penguins, or go with the one-year deal the Red Wings placed on the table.

After careful consideration, Hossa decided the Red Wings gave him the best chance at winning the Stanley Cup. He did something as rare in sports as winning a Game 7 of a Stanley Cup Final on the road -- he made winning a higher priority than the almighty dollar.

Proving that life isn't fair, Hossa's altruistic actions didn't change a thing. For the second-straight season, he was forced to watch the opposition celebrate with the Cup on his home ice, only this time it was the same Penguins team he fell short with last season.

Despite the heartbreaking loss that was dripping with irony, Hossa refused to ponder the "what ifs" following Friday night's 2-1 loss in Game 7.

"That's life," Hossa said about seeing his former team crowned as champions. "I still had a great year in this organization with great guys, great people around. It could go both ways, one goal could've made a difference. Sometimes that's life.

"I don't regret it. It could be different circumstances if I signed with Pittsburgh. They probably would've signed some other players and been a different team. We could sit here for hours discussing this. It could've been a different team, so I don't regret it."

Hossa was nearly a point-per-game player in the regular season, but his production took a nose-dive during the postseason. In 23 games, the winger only managed 6 goals and 9 assists. Hossa had just 4 goals in the final three rounds of the postseason and none in the Stanley Cup Final.

"Whether you like it or not, its lots of pressure and you learn when pressure is on," Hossa said about his lack of production. "You learn how to handle it, it squeezing you. It was pretty tough one. I tried to battle, battle hard. I couldn't get it done."

Hossa was part of some good scoring chances in Game 7, but nothing found the back of the net. In the first period, he led a rush across the Penguins' blue line. After backing up the defense, he left the puck for Valtteri Filppula, who was denied by Marc-Andre Fleury.

Jonathan Ericsson cut the Penguins' lead to 2-1 with six minutes left, giving Detroit life. Hossa and his teammates had several glorious chances to get the game tied, only to see Fleury and a crossbar deny the Red Wings.

Kirk Maltby came to the defense of Hossa, pointing out that while the spotlight was on the 30-year-old star during this series, it came down to the team not getting the job done, not one individual.

"I'm sure he's not real happy," Maltby said. "Everyone feels extremely bad in here. There's always the story lines that get made up going in to the playoff runs – do it for this guy, do it for that guy. But it's a group effort in here and everyone wants to win for each other whether you've won one or you won four or you haven't won one at all. I feel bad for everyone in here.

"It's not like he's playing poorly. It's not like he's not trying. He won't make any excuses and I'm not going to make any for anybody. We as a collective group in here had opportunities. Just because some guys are looked to score and others aren't doesn't mean it's any one guy's fault. We as a group in here collective win this game and win this series."

Some of Hossa's former teammates took time between spraying down the Joe Louis Arena ice with champagne to offer their sympathies.

"He's a great guy. I have nothing but respect for him," Penguins defenseman Hal Gill said. "Obviously we wanted him to stay in Pitt, but that's the way it works. It's a crazy game."

"I feel his pain, and it's disappointing for him," Rob Scuderi said, "but it's nice that we got the win."

Hossa denied rumors that he has a long-term deal in place to stay in Detroit. With Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen locked up long-term, it's possible that Friday night will be Hossa's last game with the Red Wings.

"I think Marian had a great year," Zetterberg said. "He was an unbelievable guy on and off the ice. He worked hard all year long and it's been a pleasure to play with him."

Hossa had the best of intentions entering the 2008-09 season, but he was against left to ponder how close he was to raising to Lord Stanley's Cup for a second season in a row.

"That's how close it is, that's how close this series was, sometimes by inches," Hossa said. "Sometimes you can get lucky, but we just didn't score."
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hossa has no regrets   Hossa has no regrets Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:40 pm

What is even more interesting now is what he does this summer. He's a UFA again. No matter what he does, it's going to be questioned.

Returns to Pens - people will say he never should've left and would've won a cup
Returns to Wings - he underperformed with the Wings, will he be able to bring home a cup this time around?
Goes to another contender - will he leave right when the Wings win a cup?
Goes to a bad team - will probably go there for money, so people will question whether he gave up on winning for money

He's quite a story for some time to come.
Back to top Go down
TheRealFan
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
TheRealFan

Female Number of posts : 3217
Location : With Corey Taylor in his closet... And not wanting to come out. <3
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Hossa has no regrets   Hossa has no regrets Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:32 am

You could enver accuse him of leaving the Pens for money in the first place, since they offered him a lot of money to keep him. I wonder if the Pens or the Wings would even want him back though. I don't know if it's bad karma or what, but hwne he was with either team, they both failed to win the Cup. And he brought much to either team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hossa has no regrets   Hossa has no regrets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hossa has no regrets
Page 1 of 1