chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

UFC 118 Results

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Quote :

Preliminary Card

Welterweight Bout: Mike Pierce vs. Amilcar Alves

Pierce defeated Alves via submission (cross-body armbar) at 3:11 of round 3.

Welterweight Bout: Nick Osipczak vs. Greg Soto

Soto defeated Osipczak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Middleweight Bout: Dan Miller vs. John Salter

Miller defeated Salter via submission (anaconda choke) at 1:53 of round 2.

Preliminary Card (SPIKE TV)

Lightweight Bout: Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz

Lentz defeated Winner via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27).

Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger

Lauzon defeated Ruediger via submission (armbar) at 2:01 of round 1.

Main Card

Welterweight Bout: Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis

Diaz defeated Davis via technical submission (guillotine choke) at 4:02 of round 3.

Lightweight Bout: Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard

Maynard defeated Florian via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28).

Middleweight Bout: Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda

Maia defeated Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Heavyweight Bout: Randy Couture vs. James Toney

Couture defeated Toney via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:19 of round 1.

Lightweight Championship Bout: Frankie Edgar (C) vs. B.J. Penn

Edgar defeated Penn via unanimous decision to retain the Lightweight championship�(50-45, 50-45, 50-45).

OK, for now I will get to some of these fights and do the rest later. If someone else actually post something in here.

Joe Lauzon made everything he did look easy. Took him down, got the mount, land some punches, and they passed to the arm bar with ease. It was beuatiful work.

Something about Marcus Davis makes me want to cheer for the dude. He always gives it his all and he never quits...or usually doesn't quit. Davis was totally out classed by Diaz in this fight. Davis took a beating for 3 RD's and his eye looked horrible. It was no surprise when the dude finally had to tap out.

I am not sure how any judge gave K-Flo a RD in that fight, he was on his back for most of the fight. Maynard took him down over and over again and Flo had to answer for it. Totally dominated FLorian.

I was pretty board with Maia and Miranda or whatever his name is. Maia had the chance to finish him a few times, but his mistakes allowed that dude to get out of trouble sevral times.

Couture did exactly what everyone knew what he would do and I loved it. Tubby comes out in his boxer stance, hands down, right hand cocked like his is about to do something. He left his lead leg out and Randy took it. Couture shot a single, got the mount, gave him some ground and pound, worked him to the cage, locked in a arm triangle, passed to side control, turned into the hold and lights out for Tubby James Toney. I was lovin that shit.

Frankie Edgar proved that the first fight was no fluke. He did everything from the first fight, plus more. As I recall, BJ only had a dominate postion twice and he couldn't do shit with. Edgar got take downs, landed some good shots and dominate BJ Penn. Lets see how Penn explains this loss.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Diaz/Davis
Diaz comes out, he's having Davis in, putting his arms in the air taunting him, I guess that was expected. What he probably didn't expect was Davis knocking him on his ass shortly after and even though he got back up and put in arms in the air again, his taunting pretty much stopped right there and he had to stop messing around. I'm a tad surprise that he didn't paw a little more against a guy with less range, but he still used his length to his advantage in the first round. More of the same in the next 2 rounds for Diaz, just using his range. I expected him to use his range, which would force Davis to go for the takedown, where I saw Diaz winning by submission. Turns out I was right about the range and the submission, but the takedown was by Diaz instead. Oh and I'm sure that mountain growing out the side of Davis' head didn't help matters either.

Maynard/Florian
A little disappointed that Florian didn't come out more aggressive on his feet. He was probably winning the stand-up battle, but for someone with such diverse striking and just more technically sound that Maynard, I expected him to let loose a little more. While he got in some sub attempts towards the end of the third, he couldn't really do much with them and Maynard's top control was enough to earn him the round. All in all, Florian didn't look like the #2 LW that I considered him to be and as a result, Gray gets the title shot that he deserves.

Miranda/Maia
No question Maia's advantage is on the ground, but the first round showed off Maia's improving overall game. Not only did he hold his own on his feet, but he was also able to take Miranda down and move himself into more dominating positions. Maia did more of the same really for the rest of the fight and despite Maia gassing towards the end of the fight (which was a tad surprising since he lasted 5 rounds with Silva fairly well), Miranda was gassed himself and couldn't capitalize. Despite Maia not being able to finish the fight, he still dominated throughout the fight and keeps himself near the top of the MW division with this win.

Toney/Couture
Was anybody really surprised by what would happen? Takedown, full mount, submission. I've never really been a huge fan of Couture (not that I hated him or anything), but just the attitude he took into this fight was fresh. He's always been so respectful and never really showed much hostile emotion, his aggressiveness in this fight was really fun to watch. Got to see some swagger from the 47 year old and he represented MMA real well. Complete ownage and let's see who the next Boxer is going to be to try and make the jump to MMA. Oh and I have a hard time understanding anything that James Toney says...just sayin...prolly from all those shots to the head.

Penn/Edgar
BJ comes out more aggressive, Frankie take him down quick. Penn gets back up without taking much damage, then Frankie gets him down again. He gets up quickly, then Frankie slams him down hard. I never thought I'd see this happen to Penn by a LW, but I guess Frankie got a ton of confidence in his takedowns from their first fight.

Second round, Penn probably wins a little in the stand-up because he had some more power punches land than Edgar (though Edgar did a better job with the body kicks, so I can easily see Edgar winning by a little in the stand-up). However, Edgar scores another takedown in the round, which to me, gives the round to Edgar no doubt. 10-9 for Edgarin round 2.

Third round was pretty back and forth, definitely a hard round to judge. Nothing really definitive in this round to sway me either way, so I'll just move onto the fourth round. TAKEDOWN BJ PENN! Yeah, about damn time. He wasn't winning in the stand-up and he was getting taken down, so it's about time that he took the smaller Frankie down. But after Frankie got up, he hit BJ with that wicked leg kick that put BJ on his ass. Close round again and I can see it either way. At this point, Edgar could be either winning 40-36 or tied at 38-38.

Last and final round and I will give credit to BJ Penn, his cardio looks good. He doesn't really look tired yet and he even came out with a takedown and got Frankie's back momentarily. However, Edgar reverses and got top position and dominated in terms of position for much of the round. Now BJ looked a little gassed with about a minute left, but it isn't anywhere close to as bad as I've seen in the past. Another 10-9 Edgar. So really in the end, worst case scenario, Edgar wins 48-47. Obviously the worst case scenario didn't happen and he won 50-45. Frankie Edgar, I'm a believer.

On a side note, including the undercard, I guessed 7 of 10 fights correctly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm

I didn't expect Toney to have a shot in hell and I knew Couture wasn't going to stand with him. Hell, Randy said he was not going to stand with him. The thing that got me so jacked for this fight was Toney running his mouth. I didn't understand much of what he said, but I got the jist of of it. When I watched the 118 Countdown show, I saw Toney training strikes. Why the hell was he doing any striking. Randy has been doing what he does for 20 years and Toney had 8 months or so to make up that gap. There was no way he was going to, but I guess I expected him to put in a little more ground work. As far as MMA vs. Boxing, this fight proved nothing. Asking Toney to out grapple Couture would be like asking Pujols to D up Kobe Bryant. What this fight did prove is Randy took Toney's garbled trash talk personally and he imposed his will on James Toney. Couture may never be a Champion again, but he can still fight, he can still draw, and he takes pride in the sport he helped build. The UFC climbed to the top on the backs of Couture and Liddel, but 47 Randy isn't done just yet.

I didn't watch BJ's post fight interview, what kind of excuses did he make this time?
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Concrete Jesus wrote:
The UFC climbed to the top on the backs of Couture and Liddel, but 47 Randy isn't done just yet.
And Tito Ortiz Razz

Concrete Jesus wrote:

I didn't watch BJ's post fight interview, what kind of excuses did he make this time?
I actually didn't catch the post fight interviews either, my stream died right after the decision was announced.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 3:10 pm

And Tito Rolling Eyes I guess. Tito did get his face punched in by Randy and Liddel, so I guess he gets some credit. Smile
Back to top Go down
C-Makaveli
WWE Superstar
WWE Superstar
C-Makaveli

Male Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2007-11-04

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 am

The Couture / Toney fight made me laugh. Toney had balls getting in there, but it was obvious as soon as the bell rang he didnt know what the hell to do. Couture could have beat him with an arm tied behind his back. It was one of the dumbest things I'd ever heard, Boxing vs MMA. There wasnt anyway it could have been a fair fight, where the two skills matched.

Back to top Go down
http://WWE.com
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:28 pm

That single leg TD was probably the easiest of Randy's entire career.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Toney made twice as much as Couture in the fight (not including any PPV bonuses that Randy probably got).
Back to top Go down
C-Makaveli
WWE Superstar
WWE Superstar
C-Makaveli

Male Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2007-11-04

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:15 pm

babaganoosh wrote:
Toney made twice as much as Couture in the fight (not including any PPV bonuses that Randy probably got).

True. But Toney hadn't just released a film where he starred along side Sly Stallone, Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, Arnie, Steve Austin, Jet Li etc etc Razz
Back to top Go down
http://WWE.com
Sponsored content

UFC 118 Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC 118 Results   UFC 118 Results Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UFC 118 Results
Page 1 of 1