chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Empty
PostSubject: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Quote :
Randy Couture and Mark Coleman have verbally agreed to a light heavyweight headlining bout at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the bout.

If signed, the bout will mark the first time UFC hall of famers have met in the Octagon. Both former heavyweight champions, Couture was originally slated to face Coleman at UFC 17 in May 1998 in Mobile, Ala., before the four-time Olympic alternate hurt his ribs prepping for that year’s Greco-Roman wrestling Nationals.

Instead, Coleman fought Pete Williams, a then unknown Lion’s Den protégé, and was knocked out with a head kick just past the 12-minute mark. The accomplished wrestlers’ paths did not cross again.

Couture, 46, out-clinched muay Thai striker Brandon Vera to a unanimous decision last Saturday at UFC 105 in Manchester, England. Couture is the only fighter to have held titles in both the UFC’s light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions and was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in 2006. He is also a two-time Div. I National Championships team member and a two-time NCAA Div. I runner-up for Oklahoma State University.

Coleman, 44, breathed new life into his 13-year career with a unanimous decision victory over 32-year-old “The Ultimate Fighter” finalist Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100 last July in Las Vegas. He was slated to face former 205-pound champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, but withdrew with a slightly torn MCL in early October.

Coleman, who was inducted by the UFC in 2008, was Pride Fighting Championships’ first grand prix tournament champion in 2000 and placed seventh in freestyle wrestling at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. Coleman was an NCAA Div. I champion his senior year at Ohio State University.

The legendary pair wrestled one another in a freestyle match at the 1989 Olympic Festival at Oklahoma State. Coleman won the match by one point.
Alright CJ, if we actually get this fight (nobody gets hurt before then), I will no doubt bet on Couture. It's a battle of the ground and pound, except Coleman probably won't be able to take Couture down.

Vera > Couture! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm

babaganoosh wrote:
Quote :
Randy Couture and Mark Coleman have verbally agreed to a light heavyweight headlining bout at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the bout.

If signed, the bout will mark the first time UFC hall of famers have met in the Octagon. Both former heavyweight champions, Couture was originally slated to face Coleman at UFC 17 in May 1998 in Mobile, Ala., before the four-time Olympic alternate hurt his ribs prepping for that year’s Greco-Roman wrestling Nationals.

Instead, Coleman fought Pete Williams, a then unknown Lion’s Den protégé, and was knocked out with a head kick just past the 12-minute mark. The accomplished wrestlers’ paths did not cross again.

Couture, 46, out-clinched muay Thai striker Brandon Vera to a unanimous decision last Saturday at UFC 105 in Manchester, England. Couture is the only fighter to have held titles in both the UFC’s light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions and was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in 2006. He is also a two-time Div. I National Championships team member and a two-time NCAA Div. I runner-up for Oklahoma State University.

Coleman, 44, breathed new life into his 13-year career with a unanimous decision victory over 32-year-old “The Ultimate Fighter” finalist Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100 last July in Las Vegas. He was slated to face former 205-pound champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, but withdrew with a slightly torn MCL in early October.

Coleman, who was inducted by the UFC in 2008, was Pride Fighting Championships’ first grand prix tournament champion in 2000 and placed seventh in freestyle wrestling at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. Coleman was an NCAA Div. I champion his senior year at Ohio State University.

The legendary pair wrestled one another in a freestyle match at the 1989 Olympic Festival at Oklahoma State. Coleman won the match by one point.
Alright CJ, if we actually get this fight (nobody gets hurt before then), I will no doubt bet on Couture. It's a battle of the ground and pound, except Coleman probably won't be able to take Couture down.

Vera > Couture! Very Happy

The judges disagree and so their decsion is final...maybe they are Couture marks like me Very Happy It is kinda funny that I see this today because I was thinking that this would be his next fight. This might set a record for the 2 oldest fighters to ever fight each other in the UFC. Cpt. America takes out other old guy.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Combined 90 years old while other matches will probably have a combined like 45 years old Razz With Couture saying that he wants to challenge for Machida's gold though, I don't see this being a match that gets him anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 pm

babaganoosh wrote:
Combined 90 years old while other matches will probably have a combined like 45 years old Razz With Couture saying that he wants to challenge for Machida's gold though, I don't see this being a match that gets him anywhere.

I don't either. It is kind of looking like Dana still wants him to fight because he is a huge fan favorite, so he puts him in fights he should win. After what we saw Saturday, he would get fucked up by Machida. It would be amazing to see him get his 6 UFC title, but I don't know if that can happen. Couture is going to have to do a lot more to get ready for a fight against the champ.

It would be farely embarssing for him to get a KO quickly against Machida because he is a much bigger 205 and he should be able to impose his will. Saturday, Randy could not follow through after he got Vera against the cage.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 8:14 pm

These fights that he should be winning are the kind of fights I imagined Chuck Liddell getting had Dana White let him continue fighting in the octagon. Liddell/Couture in the future? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 7:18 pm

The first 3 were battles, it would be sad to see them not live up to the first 3 fights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109   Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couture vs Coleman @ UFC 109
Page 1 of 1