chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Press release about WWE NXT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Press release about WWE NXT Empty
PostSubject: Press release about WWE NXT   Press release about WWE NXT Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 am

Quote :
WWE's 'ECW' ends run on Syfy
Reality show 'NXT' to replace series
By MARC GRASER

After struggling in the ratings, "ECW" will end its run on Syfy today with World Wrestling Entertainment replacing the series with a reality show that revolves around the company's newest roster of grapplers.

The new hour-long show, appropriately titled "NXT," bows Feb. 23, and will pair up eight of WWE's current stars with rookies that come from Florida Championship Wrestling, the company's talent development camp in Tampa, Florida.

As of late last week, McMahon had narrowed down the teams to 12, but wouldn't disclose names. Eight will ultimately be chosen for the first season. The series had also yet to start filming.

"NXT" will be a first for WWE, essentially lifting the veil of how the company operates.

WWE has long kept that a secret from fans, opting to produce shows that turn its athletes into colorful characters involved in over-the-top storylines.

But "NXT" will have pros mentoring rookies, with egos often getting in the way, as they learn the ropes of competing in the ring in front of live audiences, creating characters and speaking on camera.

"This is an opportunity to show another side you've never seen," Vince McMahon, WWE's colorful chairman and CEO told Daily Variety.

Given that WWE's shows air 52-weeks of the year, "NXT" will be broken up into two or three seasons, where talent graduates to one of WWE's other series. The reality show concept will also enable the pairs of mentors and rookies to crossover to WWE's top shows, "Monday Night Raw" on USA Network and "Friday Night SmackDown" on MyNetworkTV.

"These kids crash and burn a lot," McMahon said. "By putting them into this environment we'll find out if they can make it. There's no better way to develop skills than being in front of an audience. And that makes for good television."

"NXT" won't be WWE's first reality show, however. The company produced three seasons of "Tough Enough" with MTV from 2001-2004. But that show was more of a competition that ended with one wrestler being recruited to join the WWE.

WWE needed to come up with a replacement for "ECW."

"'ECW' feels old, it feels tired," McMahon said. "Sometimes our brands need freshening up. You have to continue to reinvent yourself.

The show has been struggling to catch on with audiences lately. Its format of matches between an exclusive lineup of wrestlers each week was considered too similar to WWE's two stronger shows, but with lesser-known athletes.

WWE bought the "ECW" brand, which stands for "Extreme Championship Wrestling," and its video library in 2003, and after finding success with pay-per-view fights and merchandise, launched the series with 13 episodes on Sci-Fi in 2006. At the time, the show generated a 2.79 rating, but it's currently generating a little more than a 1 rating.

In the past, "ECW" had been able to stand out with edgier bouts like barbed-wire matches and fans throwing chairs into the ring for wrestlers to use on their opponents. But now that WWE has gone PG, that kind of action doesn't fit in well with its lineup of series.

"As we introduce this brand new franchise exclusively on Syfy, 'NXT'

will have a completely different look and feel from our other WWE television programming," McMahon said.

Syfy didn't object to the change. The network has been reinventing itself with a new name, tagline and lineup of shows to boost ratings.

"Syfy is excited to continue our partnership with WWE, Vince and his team with this innovative live event-reality show," said Syfy president Dave Howe. "The 'NXT' rookies take the challenge of our new tagline 'Imagine Greater' to heart as they embark on their ultimate dream quest to be the next generation of revered heroes and champions in the fantastic arena of the WWE."

I am not really that interested in the behind the scenes stuff or the person behind the gimmick. I will watch the first episode, but I doubt I will follow it much afterward.
Back to top Go down
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Y2J X

Male Number of posts : 2435
Registration date : 2007-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Press release about WWE NXT   Press release about WWE NXT Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 am

Sounds really boring. I'm with you CJ, I'll watch the first episode but I'm pretty certain that's about all I see of it.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Press release about WWE NXT   Press release about WWE NXT Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 pm

I would rather see them tape FCW shows. I want to see wrestling, not their lives behind the scenes. I don't care about their personalities or their egos. I care about one thing, can they perform in the ring.
Back to top Go down
That-Damn-Good
Mid-Carder
Mid-Carder
That-Damn-Good

Male Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Press release about WWE NXT   Press release about WWE NXT Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

It's a cool concept. As I've said before, I like the Tough Enough kind of concept behind it, just without the eliminations. Don't know how much I'll watch it just cause I'm not sure if it's airing down here but I'm sure it'll get some interest. As long as you don't have dumbass trainers like Tough Enough did, ha. Call me crazy but I don't think Bill DeMott is exactly an ideal coach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Press release about WWE NXT   Press release about WWE NXT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Press release about WWE NXT
Page 1 of 1