chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Evan Longoria gets long extension

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

Evan Longoria gets long extension Empty
PostSubject: Evan Longoria gets long extension   Evan Longoria gets long extension Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:20 pm

Devil Rays rookie Evan Longoria has received a $17.5 million, 6 yeaer contract after playing only 6 games in the majors. The deal contains options that could drive the contract up to a $44.5 million over 9 seasons. He was taken 3rd overall in the 2006 draft.

Longoria gets $500,000 this year, $550,000 in 2009, $950,000 in 2010 and $2 million in 2011, a salary that would increase to $2.5 million if he is eligible for salary arbitration that year. He receives $4.5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. Tampa Bay has a $7.5-million option for 2014 with a $3-million buyout, with the buyout price increasing to $4-million if Longoria was eligible for arbitration in 2011. By November 2014, the Rays must decide whether to exercise an option calling for salaries of $11 million in 2015 and $11.5 million in 2016. His 2016 salary can rise to $14 million, depending on his finish in MVP voting. If Longoria's 2014 option is exercised, the 2015-16 option would carry a $1-million buyout.

Left-hander Scot Kazmir and centre-fielder B.J. Upton are two other players that the Rays have an interest in signing to multiyear deals.

Huge move for the penny-pinching Devil Rays. It's definitely risky to sign a player to such a long contract, let alone a player with little MLB experience. I've seen this kid play a bit, and this guy will probably be an all-star in due time assuming injuries don't get to him.
Back to top Go down
Axl
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
Axl

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Evan Longoria gets long extension   Evan Longoria gets long extension Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 am

Ahhh, correction - the Tampa Bay Rays. The 'Devil' is gone starting with this season.

And as for the contract, I think it's a brilliant move by the Rays. I can't believe Longoria signed it. The player's union is gonna be PISSED that he signed a contract that waived his arbitration rights.

If he turns out to be the player, that he's been scouted as, this will be a massive coup for the Rays. He could be better than A-Rod, but for the price of an inexpensive low-market 3B.

This contract, if Longoria becomes a huge player, could change the landscape of MLB contracts in the next 10 years. Teams might start playing hardball with player's & the union, and refusing to pay more than $10mil a year for a player.

And all the player's are gonna blame Longoria for their paycut.
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

Male Number of posts : 3627
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Evan Longoria gets long extension   Evan Longoria gets long extension Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 1:49 am

Axl wrote:
Ahhh, correction - the Tampa Bay Rays. The 'Devil' is gone starting with this season.

And as for the contract, I think it's a brilliant move by the Rays. I can't believe Longoria signed it. The player's union is gonna be PISSED that he signed a contract that waived his arbitration rights.

If he turns out to be the player, that he's been scouted as, this will be a massive coup for the Rays. He could be better than A-Rod, but for the price of an inexpensive low-market 3B.

This contract, if Longoria becomes a huge player, could change the landscape of MLB contracts in the next 10 years. Teams might start playing hardball with player's & the union, and refusing to pay more than $10mil a year for a player.

And all the player's are gonna blame Longoria for their paycut.

hell I'd kill people for 10 million a year....

these guys should just be happy to play

and if they aren't then they can take there happy asses to Japan and play for 1000 yen a game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecw.com
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Evan Longoria gets long extension   Evan Longoria gets long extension Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 11:35 pm

I've got no problem if player's contracts start to go down (which I still doubt they will). It's a great move no doubt and it's nice to see players worry about playing instead of just the money.

As far as him being better than A-Rod, that might be a bit of a stretch there. He's definitely all-star potential, but I'm not sure whether he'll have that kind of success.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evan Longoria gets long extension   Evan Longoria gets long extension Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Evan Longoria gets long extension
Page 1 of 1