chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brett Favre retires...again...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

Brett Favre retires...again... Empty
PostSubject: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Quote :
NEW YORK -- Brett Favre is done slinging passes with his rocket right arm -- maybe for good.

The 39-year-old quarterback told the New York Jets on Wednesday he was retiring after 18 seasons, ending a record-setting career in which he became one of the NFL's all-time greats.

Favre's decision came six weeks after his only season with the Jets ended in disappointment as New York failed to make the playoffs. In an e-mail to ESPN, Favre said he has no regrets about finishing his career in New York and praised Johnson, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and fired coach Eric Mangini.

"My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honoured to be given that chance," Favre wrote in the e-mail.

If this is indeed it for Favre, he leaves the game with a slew of records, including career touchdown passes (464), completions (5,720), yards passing (65,127), regular-season victories (169) and interceptions (310).

Favre tearfully retired last March then changed his mind, prompting a bitter divorce with Green Bay. He was traded to the Jets in August and was a Pro Bowl selection despite an overwhelmingly disappointing season that cost Mangini his job.

"With Brett, there was always the possibility that he wouldn't play the second year," Johnson said. "We were hoping to get one good year out of Brett Favre.

"We picked him based on, in our opinion, his giving us the best chance to win last season. We were disappointed not to have made the Super Bowl, but we did some very good things with Brett."

And the team doesn't expect Favre to change his mind.

"He did not ask to be released," Tannenbaum said. "Everything he said was, he is done playing football.

"We have our plan according to that, and we're going to move forward."

When asked if the door might be open to Favre if he again decides to come back, Tannenbaum said he wanted to stay away from hypotheticals.

"He felt he had given us everything he had, and it was time for him to move on," Tannenbaum said Favre told him.

Running back Thomas Jones and safety Kerry Rhodes were critical after the season of Favre and his performance. The Jets went from 8-3 to missing the playoffs. Favre threw nine interceptions as the Jets went 1-4 down the stretch, and a torn right biceps might have contributed.

Still, Favre had nothing but positive things to say about his Jets experience.

"Mike and Woody, as well as the entire organization, have been nothing short of outstanding," Favre said in the e-mail. "My teammates -- Thomas (Jones) and Kerry (Rhodes) included -- were a pleasure to play with. Eric could not have been any better.

"I enjoyed playing for him."

As did All-Pro kick returner-running back Leon Washington.

"The longevity of his career and his love for the game is truly inspiring," Washington said. "I'm privileged to have played with not only a Hall of Fame quarterback, but also a great role model."

New York hired former Baltimore defensive co-ordinator Rex Ryan to replace Mangini, and he, along with Johnson and Tannenbaum, repeatedly said they wanted Favre to return. Instead, Favre spent several weeks after the season at his home in Kiln, Miss., away from football before deciding to retire -- again.

New York now will move forward with a new quarterback, whether that will be Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, Erik Ainge or perhaps a veteran free agent such as Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, Byron Leftwich or Rex Grossman.

"We've got three quarterbacks on the roster, and I think we feel pretty good that in a competition among those guys, we'll end up with a pretty good quarterback," Johnson said.

Favre had two years left on his contract and was due US$13 million for next season, clearing a chunk of salary cap space for the Jets.

After the Jets' season-ending 24-17 loss to Miami, Favre said he felt discomfort in his arm "for quite a while." It turned out to be a torn biceps tendon that didn't require surgery.

He finished with 3,472 yards passing and 22 touchdowns, but the 22 interceptions were his most in three seasons.

During his 16 seasons with Green Bay, he helped lead the Packers to consecutive Super Bowls, including a victory over New England in 1997.
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

Male Number of posts : 3627
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

He'll be back...he always is.

The right situation will come up and he will go running like Canadian girls run to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecw.com
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:51 pm

stl311 wrote:

The right situation will come up and he will go running like Canadian girls run to me.
So...he'll be running away?
Back to top Go down
MizRoXxi
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
MizRoXxi

Female Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Lol I read about this in the paper he says it's for good this time until he wants to make more money again.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Affliction

Male Number of posts : 3093
Registration date : 2007-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 12:22 am

Wonder how long his retirement will last this time!
Back to top Go down
xDesireAngelx
Mid-Carder
Mid-Carder
xDesireAngelx

Female Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Wow again lol hes not going retire he always says that and he always comes back
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brett Favre retires...again...   Brett Favre retires...again... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brett Favre retires...again...
Page 1 of 1