chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Empty
PostSubject: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:12 pm

John Morgan, MMAjunkie.com

Frank Mir (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) may be currently planning to fight Cheick Kongo at UFC 107 in December, but the French striker isn't the only opponent on the former UFC champ's mind.

In fact, lessons learned in his UFC 100 loss to Brock Lesnar have led Mir to express his desire to face middleweight champ Anderson Silva in a previously rumored heavyweight superfight.

"I'm extremely interested in the fight," Mir said at Friday's post-WEC 43 weigh-in Q&A session. "I've learned that size helps people win fights. It would be nice to be on the other end of that."

Mir didn't discount the danger that Silva presents to any opponent, but he did consider himself a pretty clear-cut favorite should the bout materialize.

"With Anderson, obviously he's a great striker and he is pound-for-pound one of the best fighters in the world," Mir said. "But with my grappling, it would be a very bad night for him.

"I think there's a reason why he should just do a few exhibitions at light heavyweight and stay a middleweight."

While UFC president Dana White has openly he stated he doesn't want to see Silva move all the way up to heavyweight, Mir could potentially face another Brazilian opponent.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's UFC 102 win over Randy Couture has led many MMA observers to call for a rematch of his December 2008 bout with Mir.

Mir doesn't feel like he needs to prove himself again, but he won't shy away from the bout if the UFC puts it on the table.

"I think Nogueira wants me more than I want him," Mir said. "I don't really feel like I need to fight him. But obviously, if that fight needs to be answered again, I'm more than happy to show Nogueira that he's the same fighter that Randy fought.

"Everybody said, 'Oh, Nogueira is so much sharper now that he fought Randy.' I saw a 46-year-old man punch you in the face as many times as I punched you in the face. The only difference is he didn't knock you down."

Mir said that had he been able to deliver some of the blows that Couture landed in the UFC 102 bout with Nogueira, the Brazilian's night would have ended early.

"That's Randy Couture; he's knocked down one guy his whole career," Mir said. "He's not known as a power puncher.

"[Couture] is a great wrestler. He's a phenomenally tough guy that will just grind you to death. But if he's out-boxing you and hitting you in the face and you're not falling down, well what's going to happen when I weigh 245-250 (pounds) and I hit you with those? I saw it last December. You're going to fall down."

Before Mir can look at either of those options, he must get by Kongo. And while many have praised Mir's improved striking in recent contests, the heavyweight says he probably won't test it out against the former kickboxer.

"Honestly, I want to go out there and get a win," Mir said. "His ground game is definitely his weakest compared to his standup game. So regardless how I feel about my standup or my ground, I want to fight my opponents at their weakness."

And with all of these opponents in Mir's mind, is a rubber match with Lesnar on the horizon?

"Obviously if I go out there and improve on the things I need to improve on, I'll get an opportunity to be locked in a cage with [Lesnar] again," Mir said.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

I would LOVE to see Silva vs Mir just so Mir can get his ass embaressed by somone 2 weight classes below him. I had more confidence in Forrest beating Silva than Mir and we all know how that one turned out.
Back to top Go down
DivineComedy.
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
DivineComedy.

Male Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Silva! Silva! Silva! Silva! Silva!
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Silva would have to go to 220 to fight Mir. That would be 35 pounds more then he usaully fights at. Would that really be a good idea? I don't think so. Moving up to 205 might be though
Back to top Go down
DivineComedy.
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
DivineComedy.

Male Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Sweaty, this time it was hypothetical.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:14 pm

I can see Silva going at 220 considering what he walks around at. It's not like he has to put on some massive weight, he just doesn't need to cut anymore.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:46 pm

I say let him give the 205 division a go and once he kicks there ass, he can go to 220
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm

I'm very skeptical in letting him fight a lot of fighters in a single division because of 2 reasons.

1) How do you justify feeding him lower tier guys (since he won't be fighting Machida)?
2) If you feed him guys near the top of the division, what happens if he beats them? How can anyone still remain a contender for Machida if Silva beats them first?

Long-term, there's really not many names that you can justify throwing at Silva. 2 or 3 fights at 205 is the most I'd give him unless he's willing to fight Machida.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:30 am

They are going to have to do something, since he has run through the 185 division.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 4:53 pm

^^Get him injured and have him do more surgeries so people ca catch up to him Very Happy He's slated for one that might put off his fight with Belfort.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Bone spurs is the only thing that can stop Silva. If he comes back and lays a beat down on Belfort, who else is left?

I see no need for another Franklin vs. Silva, since Silva beat him 2 twice.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran
Affliction

Male Number of posts : 3093
Registration date : 2007-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Mir will probably lose but he'll beat Kongo at UFC 107 no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:14 pm

I agree. I think that Mir's BJJ is way to much for Kongo. Vasquez took Kongo to the ground with easy and I think that Mir will do the same.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Yet I'll still be rooting for Kongo. I don't think it's a no doubt fight because for Mir to win, he'd have to either wear down Kongo on their feet or take him down and submit him. Stand-up, I'd say it's fairly close with Mir having better technique, but Kongo holding more power. On the ground Mir has the obvious advantage, but he hasn't shown me much in terms of actually taking anyone down. Mir never took Lesnar down for his submission, he refused to go to the ground whenever Big Nog went down, and he got his face bashed in by Lesnar the second time.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:20 pm

^^Yet I'll still be rooting for Kongo. I don't think it's a no doubt fight because for Mir to win, he'd have to either wear down Kongo on their feet or take him down and submit him. Stand-up, I'd say it's fairly close with Mir having better technique, but Kongo holding more power. On the ground Mir has the obvious advantage, but he hasn't shown me much in terms of actually taking anyone down. Mir never took Lesnar down for his submission, he refused to go to the ground whenever Big Nog went down, and he got his face bashed in by Lesnar the second time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"   Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider,"
Page 1 of 1