chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
StuffOfLegends
Slim Shady
Slim Shady
StuffOfLegends

Male Number of posts : 2941
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Empty
PostSubject: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:03 pm

by Mark Kriegel

Roger Clemens' testimony on Capitol Hill was just the kind of production Vince McMahon has made famous. Instead of the customary babyface and heel, there were a couple of witnesses: a seven-time Cy Young winner and the trainer who claimed to have repeatedly injected him in the buttocks with various performance-enhancing substances. Both Clemens and the trainer, Brian McNamee, arrived with high-priced lawyers, these being the Congressional equivalent of buxom valets.

By McMahon's standards, the hearing qualified as a great success: rife with conflict and stage-managed buffoonery. By the end of the day, a great and prosecutable lie had been told without shame. Most important, though, ratings were great. It got people talking.

It's a wonder, then, that McMahon declined his own chance to testify. He had been called to appear on Wednesday by the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection. This wasn't an inquisition directed at the wresting industry. Rather, the WWE impresario had been called along with the commissioners of the four major sports and their corresponding union bosses. Nobodies such as Bud Selig, Roger Goodell, David Stern, Gary Bettman, Donald Fehr and Gene Upshaw saw fit to attend and be sworn in. But, alas, McMahon — who, unlike the commissioners, runs a publicly traded company — had a scheduling conflict. His lawyer had a prior commitment (a federal criminal trial in Pennsylvania), and so the subcommittee seeking more vigorous and uniform drug testing had to do without him.

Recall that the Clemens Committee — otherwise known as Oversight and Government Reform — subpoenaed former Yankees second baseman Chuck Knoblauch as a witness. In fact, the subpoena itself produced national headlines. No such subpoena was issued for McMahon. But maybe there should have been.

No one likes the idea of baseball players injecting steroids and human growth hormone. There is, however, a difference between the baseball players and the wrestlers.

The baseball players may be cheating. But the wrestlers are dying.

In June it will be a year since Chris Benoit, a WWE wrestler of some renown, murdered his wife and his son before taking his own life. Benoit, who hung himself, was receiving a 10-month supply of injectable steroids every three to four weeks, according to a DEA agent's affidavit. The case brought some mainstream media scrutiny, albeit briefly, on the wrestling business.

Among these pieces was a column I wrote citing the work of Irvin Muchnick, author of Wrestling Babylon. Muchnick had compiled a roster — "staggeringly incomplete," by his own admission — of wrestlers who died before the age of 50. Between 1985 and 2006, there were at least 89 such deaths. A Florida congressman seized on these figures (unattributed, of course) to call for an investigation of steroids in wrestling.

But now Muchnick's 2007 tally is in. He stopped counting dead wrestlers when the number hit 21.

Causes of death are typically suicide, overdose of prescription medication, ruined organs (livers and kidneys), heart attack or heart failure, a possible sign of steroid abuse.

"Steroid abuse in pro wrestling is probably worse than in any professional sport or amateur sport," said the subcommittee chairman, Bobby Rush (D-Il).

It's worth noting that not all the dead wrestlers worked for the WWE. Two years ago, McMahon's company embarked on a new "Wellness Program," mandating testing and treatment guidelines for performers. Later, after the Benoit case, the WWE offered to pick up the tab for wrestlers (all independent contractors) in need of drug rehab. Still, it's difficult to argue that professional wrestling is anything but a perilous vocation.

To argue that wrestling is fake isn't much of an argument. Worse, it misses the point. Yes, wrestling is fake. Bookies don't take action on scripted matches. And for all its production values, the WWE lacks the quantifiable beauties of Major League Baseball, all those numbers and records to be endlessly debated. All wrestling has is a body count. That much, however, is real.

Finally, consider the prevalence of the muscle aesthetic in American culture. It's everywhere: video games, comic books, movies. As many kids looked to Chris Benoit as a role model as they did Roger Clemens.

The distinction between real and fake, between the virtuous and the virtual has become almost meaningless. Vince McMahon, a visionary if ever there was one, understood that much years ago. There is nothing in the real world he can't exploit in a WWE storyline. A subpoena would've only found its way into the Wrestlemania script.

It was an interesting article so I thought I would share it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7855250?MSNHPHMA
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

Male Number of posts : 3627
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I can't blame McMahon for not going to congress. I mean none of the other sports consider wrestling a real sport with real athletes who do really incredible things. So why should the "fake sport" have to suffer the same fate as the other sports that consider themselves real?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ecw.com
Axl
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
Axl

Male Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Wrestling is not a sport. It's entertainment, no different than a TV show.

Steroids should be tackled in real competive sports, like baseball, but wrestling. They are just wasting tax dollars.
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Axl wrote:
Wrestling is not a sport. It's entertainment, no different than a TV show.

Steroids should be tackled in real competive sports, like baseball, but wrestling. They are just wasting tax dollars.

I wouldn't say that, wrestling is just as much a sport as bowling or pool.
Back to top Go down
Axl
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
Axl

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am

No it's not. It's EN-TER-TAIN-MENT.

This is the equivalent of Mischa Barton getting arrested for pot possession.

Do we really need a congressional hearing on it?
Back to top Go down
stl311
The Omega VIP
The Omega VIP
stl311

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:29 am

Axl wrote:
No it's not. It's EN-TER-TAIN-MENT.

This is the equivalent of Mischa Barton getting arrested for pot possession.

Do we really need a congressional hearing on it?

No we don't but I've been in a ring I think I would know, it maybe entertaining to you but we have to be in damn good shape and do some pretty athletic stuff in that ring.
Back to top Go down
Axl
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
Axl

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, when you actually start wrestling for real, ala Boxing, you get back to me.

I understand what you're saying, I really do. But you have to understand this steroids issue has nothing to do with getting athletes healthy. Congress is full of shit. It has to do with keeping steroids from influencing children to use. In competive sports, such as baseball & football, this is a real issue.

Wrestling is the equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. It has no influence on children juicing, and is a pure waste of tax dollars.

I'm down for all investigations on baseball, but wrestling... come on... we've got a war going on in Iraq.
Back to top Go down
traveler
Heat Wrestler
Heat Wrestler
traveler

Female Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Bottom line of it is.....

There are still obvious use of steroids. pain killers and all sorts of other drugs that shouldn't be there....and thats what Congress is trying to get to the bottom of line of it....These stars are still in the spotlight still idolized by the young people of today and face it Congress is trying to get rid of the problem...

There is too much "hero" worship in the world right now...They see the stars do it the others want to do it too and think its legal because the stars do it...

Just like the Chris Benoit was doing...Technically buying the drugs...Just because a Dr writes the perscription doesn't make it legal and they take good big amounts of money to line there pockets...People think just becase a Dr did it makes it leagal and its not...

Example right now....Oxy Codone is one of the biggest easiest killers on the world today....It takea a triple script to get it....Why let me tell you something else....Oxycodone is Morphine yes Morphine highly addictive and as many of the stars have proven will kill you if your on it long enough...

They do order it legally most Cancer patients who are terminally because its face it easy to keep them comfortable for what ever days they have left don't need to worry about addiction because sad enough those patients are only living out there days anyway...

Do wrestlers etc need Oxy Codone Hell No! theres a lot of stuff that they can use that will kill pain and not be as addictive as Morphine...

This goes for both Oxy Codone as well as Oxy Contin....Yea it too is Morphine as well Oxy Contin is just a little slower acting on a time and need for it...

Yes I am a Nurse and know a good bit about what I am talking about.
and I do know of atleast one in the locker room who is using the stuff right now...Think a little bit and I bet you can figure out who I am talking about....and I can prove it....

If you read Batista book ...He tells as well the ones using Pain killers and are out of there mind getting on that stuff...He stated only one time he had to ask for a pain killer after the Title Match with Triple H and got on a plane to go to Australia when he got there he asked a trainer to get him one dose...He said he never took another one cause he didn't like the feeling of the stuff and to this day never has....So he isn't who I am talking about...

Does Vince need to go to Capitol hill and come clean yes he sure as heck needs to do for the sake of his stars and for his fans....The fans yea if your in "Hero Worship" its very easy to close your eyes away to what your seeing when your just getting entertained....Till you get stupid and say well -------- uses it I can use it too.....Think about it....

If your on either of those two things get off of it now....it can and will addict and eventually kill it....Especially if your taking it to so called "Like the feeling"....and don't really need it in the first place....
Back to top Go down
Axl
IC/US Champion
IC/US Champion
Axl

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Oxy Codone is basically legal-heroin. Believe me from experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem   Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nothing fake about wrestling's juicing problem
Page 1 of 1