chaingangsoldier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is Chuck Liddell retired?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

Male Number of posts : 7643
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Is Chuck Liddell retired? Empty
PostSubject: Is Chuck Liddell retired?   Is Chuck Liddell retired? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 am

Quote :
Dana White still uncertain whether Chuck Liddell's retirement is permanent
Dann Stupp, MMAjunkie.com
Aug 12, 2:05 pm EDT

It seems the man who first announced the former champion's career conclusion isn't even sure these days.

After a knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 97 in April, UFC president Dana White announced in a post-fight press conference that Liddell had entered the octagon for the final time. Now, though, he hasn't completely shut the door on his longtime friend and former manager fighting once more.

"He's a huge superstar, and we could still sell lots of tickets (with Liddell)," White said in April. "But I don't care about that. I care about him. I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over."

A few weeks later John Hackleman, the trainer of the recent UFC Hall of Fame inductee, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Liddell could still compete with the best.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Hackleman said. "Just on his abilities, his skill and his power, and what he has left, I think he has more than one fight left in him. Maybe his game isn't what it was 10 years ago. I don't know. But he's definitely at the top of the food chain.

The episode has played out in the media since the spring with White, Hackleman, the media, fans - everyone but Liddell himself - giving definitive thoughts. Liddell recently said he'd take a year off and decide early next year to fight again.

And echoing comments first made in May, White hasn't ruled out the possibility.

"I don't want him to (fight)," White said after this past weekend's UFC 101 event. "He wants to, so we'll see what happens."

Liddell, one of MMA's first true superstars, is perhaps the most popular fighter in UFC history with a career 21-7 record, which includes a 16-6 mark in the UFC. His 16 wins in the organization remain a UFC record.

The former collegiate wrestler, who turned pro in 1998, made his MMA and UFC debut at UFC 17. He won the UFC's light-heavyweight title in 2005 and made four consecutive title defenses before losing the belt to Quinton Jackson in 2007.

Liddell, though, is just 1-4 in his past five fights with losses to Jackson (TKO), Keith Jardine (split decision), Rashad Evans (KO) and Rua (TKO).

Check out more UFC News at MMAjunkie.com. This story originally appeared on MMAjunkie.com and is syndicated on Yahoo! Sports as part of a content-partnership deal between the two sites.

I hope that he doesn't go to some half rate promotion. Maybe it is time for him to ride off into the sunset. Ken Shamrock hung on for far too long and it is sad to see.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is Chuck Liddell retired?   Is Chuck Liddell retired? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 3:19 pm

I have a feeling he'll end up going elsewhere if Dana doesn't give him the opportunity anymore. I don't really see this being the end for him yet, even if it should be. Maybe Ortiz/Liddell again? Big draw, both guys are in limbo in terms of where they are in their careers, could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Is Chuck Liddell retired?   Is Chuck Liddell retired? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 3:51 pm

babaganoosh wrote:
I have a feeling he'll end up going elsewhere if Dana doesn't give him the opportunity anymore. I don't really see this being the end for him yet, even if it should be. Maybe Ortiz/Liddell again? Big draw, both guys are in limbo in terms of where they are in their careers, could be interesting.

Chuck is going to be on Dancing with the Stars this year. I hope that Chuck does not become Ken Shamrock and fight in half rate promotion when his career is over. He has done everything there is to do in the UFC, he is in the HOF, no reason for him to kep fighting. That being said, Couture left fighting for what, a year or so and returned to kick Tim Silva's ass and become the UFC Heavy Weight Champion. Maybe time away will help him regroup. I would like to see him kick Tito's ass one more time.
Back to top Go down
babaganoosh
FnF Up!
FnF Up!
babaganoosh

Male Number of posts : 9908
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is Chuck Liddell retired?   Is Chuck Liddell retired? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Only concern with Liddell doing what Couture did was that Liddell is just totally getting rocked now. I believe Couture was going through marital problems at the time and that may have been the reason for his decrease in performance, but Chuck doesn't seem to be having those problems and it just looks like he's slowly losing it.
Back to top Go down
Concrete Jesus
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Concrete Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Is Chuck Liddell retired?   Is Chuck Liddell retired? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 pm

babaganoosh wrote:
Only concern with Liddell doing what Couture did was that Liddell is just totally getting rocked now. I believe Couture was going through marital problems at the time and that may have been the reason for his decrease in performance, but Chuck doesn't seem to be having those problems and it just looks like he's slowly losing it.

I feel you, but it has to be hard to just stop doing what you all of the sudden. He is a fighter, all he has done for his entire adult life is fight. I hope that he can make a rational choice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Chuck Liddell retired?   Is Chuck Liddell retired? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Chuck Liddell retired?
Page 1 of 1